Wednesday, August 22, 2007

First day of Kindergarten!!!

Today was the BIG day! We sent our daughter Malaina off to her first day of Kindergarten!
I was just as excited for this day as she was. We were fully prepared. We had the backpack all picked out. The perfect outfit, the perfect boots and the perfect hair. But there was one thing I was not prepared for and that was the tears.

All week everyone kept asking me "Are you ready?" Of course I am ready, I was born ready. What do I need to be ready for? She had already attended pre-school the year before a couple days a week so this is nothing new to me. As she lined up with all of the other kidlets and the teacher said her hellos I began to get a little nervous and feel the lump growing in the back of my throat. The principal came out as well and gave a little speech and soon after they were off! The kids sped off into the doors of the school as if it has just been announced there was a candy buffet awaiting them inside. No goodbye kiss, no hug, only a wave and a "goodbye mom and dad". And that is what did it, that is what brought on the tears! My little girl is growing up and did not need a hug or a kiss or the reassurance in this "new" environment she did not know. That is what really got me.

When it was time for me to go pick her up I was hungry with anticipation just waiting to hear the news of her first day! "So just what did you learn today in school" I asked.

"Oh, you can't get up to drink water whenever you want...you have to ask first."

Okay..."Anything else?"
"No, we just played and colored and talked today for our first day but I did meet some friends."
Curious I asked "What are their names?"
"Cameron, Josh and TJ."
All boys of course.....we are in so much trouble..............

1 comment:

Willow Tree said...

Amy she looks beautiful and so grown up! What a big first for her:)
Brooke